- This event has passed.
Conference on Intellectual Property Law and Business Strategy
January 10, 2017 @ 8:30 am - 1:00 pm
The Law Firm of A.Q. Basit is proud present a half-day event on intellectual property law and business strategy ideas for startup companies and entrepreneurs. Lunch will be Provided.
This half-day event will be at the Newman Alumni Center, University of Miami, and will include the following speakers (in alphabetical order):
– Abdul Basit, Patent Attorney, The Law Firm of A.Q. Basit. Mr. Basit’s presentation will be: “Who owns the intellectual property?” Many companies, including startups and even established companies, do not pay enough attention to who actually has ownership of intellectual property until it becomes too late and becomes an issue that is being dealt within a court of law. This presentation will discuss different issues that sometimes arise with intellectual property ownership.
– Julio Cassels, Business Consultant, Miami-Dade Minority Business Development Agency. Mr. Cassels’ presentation will be: ” U.S. Department of Commerce Initiatives in the Innovation Industries- a preview of what could happen post-election.”
– Robert Hacker, Adjunct Professor, University of Miami. Mr. Hacker’s presentation will be: “Social Entrepreneurship: The Savior of Capitalism.” Capitalism is being attacked on many fronts. Social entrepreneurship combines a social focus with the power of entrepreneurship to present capitalism as a responsible but economically viable approach.
– Mike Lingle, Entrepreneur/Mentor, Venture Hive. Mr. Lingle presentation will be: “Netflix can’t predict the future, so how can you?” In 2010 Netflix was shipping DVDs and forced Blockbuster to declare bankruptcy. A few short years later it’s winning multiple Emmy awards for developing original content. CEO Reed Hastings says, “It’s not Netflix that’s making the changes. It’s the Internet. We’re figuring out every year how to use the Internet to make a great consumer experience. Every year is an experiment.” This presentation will cover how to constantly position your company to benefit from change instead of being put out of business by it.
– Mauritz Plenby – Principal, United Kingdom Consulate, Department of International Trade, Miami. TBD.
– Matthew Rubin – Client Development Executive, McKinsey. TBD
NOTE: This event is geared towards technology and startup companies. The Law Firm of A.Q. Basit reserves the final right to determine who may attend this event.
(Disclaimer: This program, while located at the University of Miami, is neither the responsibility or endorsed by the University. All presentations are for informational and educational purposes and do not constitute business advice, legal advice or legal opinions. All the presentations are the opinion of each speaker and do not represent the opinions of the Law Firm of A.Q. Basit, their respective employers, clients, and/or any other person or organization. No-one should act or rely on any information contained in any presentation without seeking the advice of an attorney. These presentations does not establish any attorney-client relationship between any person or entity and The Law Firm of A.Q. Basit. In some states, some of the presentations may be considered attorney advertising in accordance with rules of professional conduct. The Law Firm of A.Q. Basit is a Washington, D.C. based law firm. Mr. Basit is only registered to pratice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, and the D.C. and New York Bars.)